Located in the northeast corner of Mississippi, Booneville was first named Cross Roads. The land for the city was bought from a Chickasaw Indian Princess in 1853, and the name was changed in honor of Rueben Boone, nephew of the pioneer Daniel Boone. With the completion of the railroad, the city thrived and was incorporated in 1861. In June of 1862, a skirmish known as the Battle of Booneville occurred and the depot was burned. General Nathan Bedford Forrest planned his strategy for the Battle of Brices Crossroads in the Cunningham house which still stands and has been preserved as a museum. On April 15, 1870, Booneville became the county seat of Prentiss County.
Known as the city of hospitality and a certified retirement community, Booneville has something to offer all ages. A city of 9,800, the community joined together to build "Kidstown," a one-of-a-kind playground built entirely by volunteers.
The school system is well known and has achieved a Level V accreditation. In 1998, the Booneville Environmental Education Center was built with the latest advances in technology. The Blue Devil is the mascot representing the school district. The high school baseball team became state champions in 1999. In December 2000, the football team won the State 2A Championship for the second year in a row. The high school band received the Award of Excellence for being rated superior for 29 consecutive years. It is the first 2A school to qualify for such an honor. Northeast Mississippi Community College is located adjacent to the middle and high school facilities offering advanced educational opportunities. Most recently, Booneville was certified a Mississippi Hometown Retirement City. A diverse city, Booneville has something to please everyone.
Return to Digital Community Quilt